Re: RC: EN Sept issue

In a message dated 09/11/2000 12:12:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RQuestarabians@aol.com writes:

<< Who said
 that endurance is not endurance to a horse until they have traveled at least
 50 or more miles? That is just a rule that some one made up.  >>

Probably someone who realized that any rider, on any horse, without any
conditioning at all, can ride 25 miles within the time limit given for that
distance.  If the word endurance is to mean something, it has to be defined
as something a bit beyond the average accomplishment.  My first "endurance"
ride was on a completely unconditioned running-type QH.  I figured if he had
been out in pasture all winter and had walked up and down our hill to get
water, he MUST be in condition to do 50 miles.  Boy, did I have a wakeup
call!  It took me 12 hours to cover 45 miles, and why the horse did not die
of dehhydration is beyond me.  The vets in those days did not recognize the
symptoms, I knew NOTHING, and fools are given a second chance to get it
right.  The point here being, and I repeat, is that anyone, on any horse,
without conditioning, can finish a 25-30 mile ride within 6 or so hours.  And
I believe that "endurance" should require a bit more commitment on the part
of the rider to prepare for a greater challenge.

Barbara