Re: Re: Re: FEEDING BEER TO HORSES

I think what Susan says holds true about most vets' educations in teeth and feet, too.  I don't think those two parts of the horse's anatomy are all that well covered in vet school either....I can't count the number of times Nelson is called to look at a "lame" horse, finds out the vet was there, said something is wrong with the foot so get the farrier and it's really something to do with the SHOULDER.  Alot of times they think if  a horse is off or limping, something is wrong with the foot.  It doesn't make for friends in the veterinary community when their diagnosis is what's lame and the farrier figures it out and helps the horse.  We at least appreciate the nudge to owners to call the farrier but most times it appears to be "passing the buck"... owners could save themselves a lot of money, time and grief by just calling the farrier in the first place.  At least in our case, it is cheaper and Nelson will always be the first to suggest a vet is needed if one is.

I must admit, much as I adore my vet, the one time Toc came down lame, I phoned my farrier first and then the vet.  Problem was that my farrier's phone was on voicemail, and the vet came immediately.   I would never just phone the farrier - I like the two to play together like nice children.  It's just a shame there is so much professional jealousy between vets and farriers.  The farrier my vet likes to work with, I won't let within fifty feet of one of my horses, and the vet my farrier likes to work with I don't know.

Tracey