GERA Classic Revisited: Part 5

I make some coffee, sit down and try to relax, eat a couple granola bars, no
greasy bacon and eggs this morning, and mentally plan out my ride.  Turns out
I have no plan.  Haha, big surprise there.

Actually, my plan is to finish.  I know Rebel has to follow another horse or
I'll end up walking the entire 50 miles.  I once spent 6 hours on his back
doing a measly 25 miles (got lost) on my first real mountain ride at
Leatherwood, NC, a couple years ago.  This is where I learned Rebel does not
like to pass another horse after he gets tired and, till today, it was the
last time I rode Rebel in endurance competition.

I look at my watch, it's quarter to seven, time to mount and warm up.  You
can hear the other riders doing just that, some of the horses clomping up and
down on this large concrete pad that is down the road from my campsite.  I
love the start of these things; maybe, cause I know it's when and where
there's the most danger, the most excitement, with more to come.  If there's
a better place to be than this, right here, right now, I have yet to find it.

I relish being a participant here, not just an observer, and, to me,
experiencing things like endurance riding is what life is all about.  It (to
experience) is why we are here.  If you agree with me, clap your hands, three
times.  You'll feel something (yea, my other hand).  Let yourself go and
clap; join my silly world for a moment (I won't keep you any longer than you
can handle).

We trot up and down this area right before the starting point, say hello to
one another, I even have a few people yelling my name, or a word or phrase
that attaches itself to me (Beer guy, Shorty, Trouble Maker).  Some are on
foot, Jackie, Bernie, Randy and a couple others who are doing the 25, which
starts an hour later than the 50.  Jackie says something about my appearance
and asks me in a Motherly fashion, "Howard, you look like crap; what time did
you get in last night?"  What is life without friends?

Speaking of friends, I spot that woman from north Georgia.  We pass each
other a couple times but neither one of us says Hello to the other.
Evidently, the chasm between us is too great for either to cross; I tell
Rebel not to follow her horse today (her horse's number is 23).  Knowing that
she's the defending champion from last year I don't see this as much of a
problem.

Michelle is on a beautiful new horse she's breaking in for the Arab
zillionaires.  She has a good eye for horseflesh, and this tall Arab fits the
bill for any endurance rider.  He's young and jumpy, but Michelle handles him
quite well. When I get serious about buying an Arabian for myself I will ask
for Michelle's help.

There are not that many riders here at the start.  I guess about 40 or so.
Roxanne is in line and so is Jean, both from the great state of Florida (if I
keep saying this, sooner or later, one of you will believe me).  I don't spot
Nina or Debbi, but I'm sure they're here, close to the front.  I stay in the
back trying to figure out who Rebel and I will tailgate on the first loop.
Rebel is poised for battle, his head is bent at the poll (he rarely does
this) and he's attempting to do Dance Line's version of the goose step.  If I
stuck out my right arm (Seig Heil) and started singing "Ich liebe
Duetcheland"  people near by would discover I had totally lost my mind.

Nancy, the eternal clipboard lady, does a count down, and we're off.  Since
I'm at the back I don't see the front runners, but we all go at a quick trot
and then it turns into a canter.  Our first loop is the orange one and it's a
trail I did not go on yesterday.

After a few miles on a wide dirt road, covered with man made tiny rocks
(large silver dollar sized), I fine Roxanne and follow her.  Rebel is used to
being behind Rocky's horse and it shows.  We keep a good pace; the air is
cool and crisp.  I think some sort of cold front blew through last night;
it's not near as hot as it has been the last couple of days.  The Weather
Goddess likes to watch Endurance runs so she cooled things down.  She has a
great view.

The first loop always goes fast.  You can't help but notice how many rocks
are on the trail.  Rebel doesn't trip too badly but he does hit some exposed
tree roots that are on a couple of the narrow goat trails here.  He catches
himself, better than usual, because he is pumped up and the hills on this
ride have him using his back end, something I noticed him doing yesterday.
He and I are both ready for anything today, even though my head still
sometimes pounds (yes, I know I did this to myself and every throb is a
reminder).

I stay with Roxanne the entire first loop.  We're in the middle of the pack,
maybe further back than that.  We pull in to the vet check area and I spot
Nina. She's heading out already for her second loop.  Ten bucks says she's in
first place or damn close.  She should be representing us in France for the
Nationals, another ride going on today; no one can really touch her or her
horse at the rides I've seen her run.  Marry her Duane.

There's no line at the vet check.  I get Todd, my most favorite vet in the
entire world, the man who saved Dance Line's life, and I flatter the guy as
usual.  I can't help but remember that night in SC as I watch Todd check
Rebel's gut sounds.  Except this time Todd says A plus in gut.  Damn if that
yogurt isn't working so far.  I wonder what Susan would say about my yogurt.
I'll have to reread her endurance article on metabolics; I can't remember if
she was pro yogurt or not.  I do remember she said to feed your horse often,
during the ride, and this we do.

I take Rebel over to our campsite (notice, it's ours now, not just mine; you
must bond with your horse in every manner possible to ride in these things)
and he eats.  He eats beet pulp, yells at me when I need to add some more
grain, hay and gets to relax.  I do take the saddle off right away at the vet
check, sponge him upon my arrival, and don't resaddle until right before we
leave, usually ten minutes or so after our 40 minute hold time.

I notice something at this ride.  When I sponge Rebel, and I soak his back
and front, everything but the rear end, after a short while his body seems to
absorb the water.  I rarely have to rake him to get the water out of the
saddle area before resaddling.  What's up with that?

Anyway, we retack and go.  I check out with Nancy, time keeper
extraordinaire, and hit the blue trail, the one I'm a bit familiar with.
Roxanne is at the bridge, but not really waiting for me.  The bridge is
tricky and her horse doesn't want to cross it alone.  I'm with another rider,
Patsy, who I later realize manages that SC ride.  Small world in the
endurance community.

Patsy leads the way across the bridge.  Michelle comes up from behind and
joins our group, with her horse still acting young and feisty, but under
control.  Horses are such magical creatures; if I've learned nothing else the
last few years I've learned that.

The bridge crossing was exciting.  Very high off the ground and the horses
realize this.  Rebel does well but, if I was doing this alone, I'd be walking
him across.  Not a good place to trip; the floor of the bridge is made of
railroad ties with areas higher than others by the depth of these large, deep
planks of wood.  If it starts to sway I'm getting off and walking him across.

After a few miles past the bridge, we decide we're lost, missed a turn
somewhere.  Patsy gets out her map (I gave mine to Marie to make points) and
notices that we were supposed to get off this road right after crossing the
bridge.  I then realize that Cleon, the ride manager, told us that at the
preride meeting last night (don't miss the turn right past the bridge), and
he was very clear on it.  haha.

We backtrack, find our error (it was well marked) and go the right way.  I
don't mind making that mistake on a 25, but on a 50, trying to get your first
completion, it does add some frustration to your ride.  Roxanne says we did
an extra 3 miles, I say 5.  Anyway, we added to our ride.

The blue trail is much prettier than that orange one.  Still has lots of
rocks, but it's not bothering Rebel.  We're not using pads, I later regret
this, but I do use a concoction of turpentine, iodine, and vinegar for his
hooves.  In my illusionary world, this is working.  So far.  "We don't need
no stinking pads!"

The views are gorgeous along the blue trail; there's one place where the goat
trail parallels the river, or a tributary of the river, and it's lovely to
look at.  I find myself wondering if the front runners even see this.  Nina
would probably say she does; I'll have to find out tonight.

I've renamed this ride Bedrock.  Since the rocks here are manmade I would
like to see what the dinosaurs would do with them.  Probably eat them for
their mineral value.  Fred Flinstone is working overtime here in Georgia.
"Hey, Wilma!"   We fly through the blue trail, Roxanne and Patsy constantly
chatting, Rebel and I just tagging along, quietly bringing up the rear.

We get into ridecamp, and I notice no vet lines again.  Superior ride, when
it comes to that part of it.  And it's still not hot. Thank-you Weather
Goddess, hope you're enjoying the run so far.  I look at my watch and the
time says 11:30.  Lunchtime, after I get Rebel through the check.  We do, and
it's a piece of cake.  Gut sounds still an A,  A minus this time.

I take a long time eating.  So does Rebel, who is alert and lively.  I have
one beer, thinking of that old phrase, "the hair of the dog that bit you."
I'm weak, what can I say?   I eat well, but not heavy.  Left over steak is
the meal of the day.  I pop another two aspirin, headache is still there but
not as bad as when we started.  We're late leaving the check again.  By
twenty minutes this time.  I just want a completion here, a 50 mile
completion, my first.  I wonder why getting it means so much to me?

We leave alone, nobody in front to follow.  Rebel doesn't want to leave,
there are a few people sitting at the finish line, so I get off and walk him
by.  I can't believe the finishers are coming in this early, it must be the
25 milers.  The dreaded orange trail, filled with rocks, is the one we go on
for a repeat.  Rebel decides the rocks are bothering him now so we go slow.
I hope we find a rider up ahead soon, or we're toast.

As Rebel tiptoes through Bedrock along the dreaded orange trail (too many
rocks), I find that I should have listened to the experts and put pads on
this guy.  You can do a 25 without them, providing your horse has good
hooves, but not a 50.  And ride management did suggest them, along with a
breast collar, which is absolutely necessary here (I do have one on Rebel,
just in case you were asking).

Watching Rebel dance between rocks makes me think of Tiny Tim, and that awful
song he used to sing, "Tip toe Through the Tulips."  I replay him singing it
and he and Miss Vickie getting married on the Johnny Carson Show.  That
marriage lasted almost as long as my first one and had about as much chance
for success.   Hallucinations can set in on that third loop and it does with
me.  I hope I don't start seeing munchkins on the trail with a bow and arrow
aimed in my direction (Ally MacBeal).