Re: Pulling up hills?

FWIW, I have noticed my forehand-heavy 6 y.o. gaited horse uses his rear
much better and has better power going up if I keep him on the bit somewhat
up the hills...  Just collected enough that he flexes slightly at the poll
and works over his back.  Otherwise he gets strung out behind and wants to
stick his nose out and pull himself up hills.  He was started on smaller
hills and this year has had lots of mountain riding - he's in good shape.  I
don't like to ride on the bit, but I am finding he moves out much better
with a little help from me.