Re: Re: saddling problem

Does the saddle fit the horse? Long before I learned how to check and
correct saddle fit, my Arab started edging away when I went to saddle him w/
my Aussie stock saddle. He was fine for the 50# roper. A few months after
that, my Chiropractor checked the fit and it was way off. No wonder he
started pinning his ears at that saddle!!
For a simple way to check fit, place the saddle on the horses back w/o
saddle pads. Now push down on the *very* front of the pommel. Does the
saddle move? It shouldn't. Now push at the back of the cantle. Does it
move/rock? Again, it shouldn't. Now try side-to-side. It might move
nominally. Also see where you place the saddle. It should be behind the
shoulder blade, to not impede movement (that means 2-4" behind, depending on
the horse). The best way to get that is to place the saddle at the withers
and just slide it back until it settles naturally. That's usually the place
where it fits best.

Of course, he may also be having this reaction from past saddles that didn't
fit and his memory is so strong that it overides his knowledge that *your*
saddle fits him until it's up there.

> > melanie Howard mellymermaid
> > Just bought a new horse!  Arab-cross.  The problem I am having is that
>when I try and put the saddle on him.  He freaks! Goes sideways and
>backwards.  Acts like he is scared of the saddle.  Once the fight is over
>and the saddle is on, he seems to be fine.  What causes this?  Never had
>this problem with other horses.

Marlana Pitas & LL Rheebok (mom, it's time to adjust the stuffing again!)

South Attleboro, MA
EquineMT@hotmail.com
http://www.EquineMT.com