Re: RC: Washy Horse

In a message dated 9/8/00 12:40:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us writes:

<< Thanks, Tom.

 How rapid is rapid?  Over the course of say 20 miles, or are you talking
 minutes?

Within a 30 minute time span.

 >Looks like a lot endurance horses are probably entering that realm of
 shockiness.>

Well, not necessarily. If the crash is gradual, then they have the ability to
mobilise glucose from the liver, and by tearing down muscle tissue.
Performance tends to be reduced, but the shocky symptoms won't occur under
those circumstances. I get a headache--don't know if horses get headaches.

 >I've had glucose levels all over the place.  The on-site results are a lot
 more accurate....tho we've still bounced around.  It's really neat to see,
 compare to the enzymes and electrolyte and hydration levels, etc.>

Good that you are watching these. While each horse is a little different,
once you get locked into his "curves" they'll remain basically the same over
long periods of time. Fitness tends to smooth out the curves over the long
haul.

> It all makes sense.

 k  >>

Yep. It's certainly a factor.