From: Michelle Fink
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 7:36 PM
Subject: RC: can I feed more fat?

My mare has dropped condition, and I would like to increase her fat intake from 1 c. of corn oil to 2 c.  Is it safe to feed 2 cups of oil in one feeding in her beet pulp bucket (of course, increasing from 1 c. - 2 c. gradually)?  Unfortunately, I can't feed one cup a.m. and one cup p.m. until she is out of the clinic.  I am adding a vitamin E to her ration...  Will adding something like Farnam's Weight Builder work better than adding more corn oil?

She is wolfing down several pounds of beet pulp + Equine Sr. daily, and has free choice grass hay.  She also gets Red Cell, Acculytes (contains probi's), biotin, and Grand Flex in her bucket.  I know it's a lot of stuff, but her body is working so hard to heal up and she's been 3 legged for a month and a half.  She was anemic - the Red Cell helped that.  Anything I have missed or that is recommended for a very stressed, stall bound horse??  Oh, she does have a salt block, too.  We checked her for ulcers, no sign of them yet.  Might add aloe juice from the health store??

Thanks -