Re: Re: Climate and Altitude changes

> Therefore, unless the elevation gain is extreme (say Sea Level to 11,000
> feet), a horse should have sufficient RBCs on hand to accomodate the
reduced
> concentration of oxygen.
>
> If my understanding is wrong, I'm sure the experts will chime in.
>
> Kirsten

Nope, that's what our (extensive) research at Cal Poly said, too.  They'll
make an intial adaptation through releasing more RBCs from the spleen, then
over the following weeks, make other gradual changes---increased RBC
production, enzymes and hormones that regulate RBC production and so on.

susan g