RE: how hard is this?

Yikes! Are we jumping into "college" already?  Good basic information
can be had from the USPC (Pony Club) manuals, Endurance books such
as by Nancy Lovings, DVM; Wentworth/Linda Tellington-Jones (out of print
but really interesting), Lew Hollander and Courtney Hart.  Some of the
things that you read may be more "opinion" than "fact",
but then its a basis for some really interesting discussion.

I do "immersion" learning a different way.  I have the following
books by my bed right now:  Mary Wanlesses "For the Good of the Horse"
and "For the Good of the Rider", Jane Savoies' "Cross Train Your Horse"
and "More Cross Training", a couple of equine massage and anatomy books,
and lots and lots of horse magazines.  I usually pick up one or a couple
an read a little bit of all that before I go to sleep.  Sometimes I would
read a new book cover to cover and then pick it up again later when I
have a specific problem or issue I'm mulling over.  The magazines have
good entertainment value, but I've gotten to the point where I'm starting
to see the inaccuracies or "opinions" in some of the articles.

I've seen these books that Tom mentioned.  They are excellent textbooks,
but that's what they are, textbooks.  Good information, but not exactly
palatable and can be expensive.  But then this is my HOBBY, not my
livelihood!
But the rate I've been buying books over the last few years since I've
started endurance riding, these very tomes may become my next purchase.
When that happens, I may as well make it a "livelihood!".

K.

<< What are the best books on this topic?  Thanks!
 Shannon >>

There is a technique called "immersion learning". "

So, what
would do if I were you is to buy Adams' Lameness in horses--the big
edition,
and buy Lewis' Equine Clinical Nutrition, and Wollinsky's Nutrition in
Exercise and Sport, and all of the Equine Exercise Physiology series
from the
ICEEP, and start reading them all at the same time--when you get bored
death with one, switch to the next, then the next......