WEC-A few Comments

AT the time i wrote this paper-I have not read ANY of the RC posting
since I returned from France. So
these few comments are not biased by others.

I do not intend to drag all the issues and problems - both personal and
'team' related though this forum.
I will address the issues in detail as required in a proper format.
It serves no real purpose and  will not change the final out-come.

The trip was an adventure. I went there to help be part of the team  and
help our riders to be the best they could be. Well, not all plans work
out as we like.

The trip was a bust in more ways then I care to discuss, including a
poor showing at the trade booth for me. Seems those riders that have my
stuff - are quite pleased and it is still working. So sales were also
not as expected.

I will address some positive and fun aspects.

I was at home base for the start and outside the base VC area for VC 1
and 2. Since I was not an 'essential' personal, I remained out of the
main crew area, and just observed the events. That was worth the price
of admission. (free)

We left for our P stop station after the riders left VC2.
I was in the support team at a P stop, flyby - water stop - on the
orange
and pink loop, they riders went by us on their way back to base. We were
5
miles from home. This was a great site to work. I kept stats on all
the riders by number and times though this stop. Not only did this help
our riders but we were able to let other teams know where they were
also.

The whole site was staffed by many crews. A few countries - as the USA-
were on site all day. We had a great  time, no real stress  -riders came
and went, then we got back to the socializing. I was on station with 2
riders from Kty - Susan Swope and Diane Potts along with Kathy and Ted
Downs from Maine. We had a great picnic provided by the Kty Girls - who
looked more French then the locals.

We crewed our riders, then helped those who came through without support
if they wanted our help. Some did not - guess they thought the Americans
were going to take them out?? The site was short of water so we did have
protect our supply from vandals that came in to crew and leave.
This method of crewing was great fun - no stress - no bosses - no
problems -
just watching the race develop. I really enjoyed interacting with the
many support crews from other countries. I think there was about 5
countries there most of the day. No one spoke the other's language, and
that includes the Aussies and the Brits.
A real party. I figured the Aussies won the team gold after they all
came by our stop. That is if they all finished sound.
The only disappointment was to see our team, all strong - the first time
by - less Darolyn and Val, then the next time we only had Connie and
Steph.
We stayed on line waiting for Steph, no one left.

THE SUCCESS
Her name is CONNIE WALKER and SMOKE. They were just great. She kept
focused after a rough week and they did a super job. I am proud to be
her friend  , small time sponsor - advisor and confidante. Smoke looked
great at the VC1/2 and at the P
stops. Connie looked a bit rough at the second time though the P stop.
Riding alone most of the last leg - I think. She was not close enough to
get the TT riders, I think I had her in 12th when she left our stop -
with 5 miles to go. The 11th place finish on a  sound  -ready to go on-
Smoke, was just outstanding. He looked great on Sunday am also.  What a
ride these two have had in the past 2
years. GOLD at the PanAm then 11th at the WEC  and from a SECOND
Alternate slot. SUPER

MOST UN-LIKELY
Super Star Steph and Krusty. I dont think anyone was more surprised then
Steph. She rode a very smart ride. I will assume that it is public
knowledge - but Kruv did have - shall I say - shoe-hoof issues.
At the last hour, a super  re-shoe job last ditch effort - by Jaye
Perry, gave
Kruv a last shot at the ride. Took 3 trot outs to get started, then as
Step as surely told all- was A gait all day, as in sound. It took a
major effort from John and her crew, keeping his feet cold and smart
balanced riding from Steph. I think we almost had a real emotional party
to see
her at our last P stop. He looked great when she trotted off into the
dusk.
I was very pleased to here she finished in good order, no matter what
the placing. Just for them to finish was nothing short of a miracle.
GREAT Job Steph

AAH  FRENCH TOWNS
The venue was very nice and over all I think the French OC did a good
job. The vet check areas were way too small for proper crewing. They
were very crowded and dangerous. Larger areas and better site management
would have prevented some problems.

I did not rent a car, so out of the area touring was not on my agenda.
However the town of Compiegne was just great to see. I walked all over
the place from the time I arrived until the Monday after the race. The
cafes were great, good coffee, good beer, good wine  great food, and not
all that
expensive- and best of all - the French girls- quite nice to watch, a
very proper activity.
While many of the locals did not care for us being there, quite rude in
a few places, overall I managed to do quite well. It is not difficult to
order coffee, beer, wine or pastry. As for main dinners, just wing it
and point to the menu.

The barge dinner cruise on Monday night was very cool, went up the river
through a lock and into the back country. We went past part of the trail
that was along the river.
A great way to end a trip to France.
Nice place to visit - one time.

That is all I have to say about the event for now.

NOW off to read all the Ridecamp archives.
Roger