Re: RC: vitamin C

Maggie,  I attended a three-day Diana Thompson (founder of the Whole Horse Journal) clinic here in Oregon recently on accupressure, massage, Bach flower remedies, etc.  I took Jay and learned a great deal.  One of the things I asked her to do was to give me a routine on what do do when, etc.  This is what she had to say about Vitamin C.

Diane wrote to me:

Routine after ride:  I think one of the easiest things to do is be sure
Jay has plenty of Vitamin C and a good probiotic for at least 10 days going
in to a ride, during and for a week or more afterwards.  Horses do make their
own Vitamin C but not enough to cover traveling and competition. The most
available form of Vitamin C to use is a generic Calcium Ascorbate  (Ester C
is the patented, more expensive form of this type of Vitamin C). Pure Vitamin
C is four grams per teaspoon.
    To use it proactively both to ward off illness and help him with the
tissue repair necessary to a hard-working athlete, I would build him up to
the levels Dr. Joyce Harman has recommended for show horses going south to
the big Florida show circuits. She recommends six to eight grams of Vitamin C
and a probiotic every day starting 10 days before shipping to the shows,
during the two months of the show circuits and keeping it up for 10 days
after they ship home.  She recommends a probiotic called Pro Bi by the ABC
company. I have seen good results with the product called Fastrack.
Since Jay is in competition throughout the season, he may benefit from the C
and a probiotic as a normal part of his routine all the time until he gets a
winter layoff.

I have started doing this for him along with other suggestion from her.  As a note to anyone who hasn't gone to a clinic of Diana's, it was really worth the time.  She has a website I think it's www.dianathompson.com .  In addition, any of you in the NW that want to see her, she is coming to Sherwood, Oregon on September 23-25, 2000.

Dawna

  Mieske <mmieske@netonecom.net> wrote:

Hi folks,

I have been having my own feed mixed for awhile now and am considering having ascorbic acid added to it.  Uckele sells a pound for $12.95.  It's 454 grams 100% pure ascorbic acid (whatever that means!).  Anyone out there feeding vitamin C have any recommendations or thoughts about how much to feed, pros, cons, etc.?  I'd appreciate any advice.

Maggie Mieske and the talented Mashallah Almalik

Do You Yahoo!?