Re: RC: Conditioning for 100 milers

In a message dated 8/31/00 9:04:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
DESERTRYDR1@aol.com writes:

<< Hi Sarah, there is a column in the August Trailblazer (which I just got
 today) called CHATTING WITH THE CHAMPIONS.  Darla Westlake, Judith Ogus,
 Linda Crandall and Connie Walker answered a question about training, and the
 answers really surprised me.  Some don't condition any more than I do for
 LD--two three times a week, relatively short rides.  If you can't get a copy
 of the article, I'll be happy to copy it for you or something.   jeri >>

One thing is for sure--yesterday's champions will not be doing the same
things in the future--or they'll not be champions for long. In conditioning
sports, you study very closely what has been done before you, and then you do
more of the right thing in order to surpass previous performances.

To give you an extreme example, the race time that made Johnny Weismuller an
Olympic champion is now being repeated, 20 times in the morning, and 20 times
in the afternoon, by 15 year old girls in training--and they're being beaten
by others who are doing even more.

Don't follow the past. Design your own future.

ti