Re: RC: Update on crooked legged foal

In a message dated 08/31/2000 1:25:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

<< Just a note to update you on the foal.  The owner of the farm had his vet
 come out an do the Periosteal Stripping.  Total cost was under $100, the vet
 put the foal down and laid him on top of two bales of hay and performed the
 surgery.  All went well, the legs are looking straighter everyday and he is
 getting along fine.  He did rip the stiches out 3 days early, but we have
 been giving him penecillin and so far no infection.  Thanks so much to you
 and all of the people that sent the emails offering their advice.  It is a
 good thing to have a horse chain in time of need.  Thanks for posting the
 flyer.

 Our daughter had a foal born of a !/2 Arab mare and a Trakehner sire that
had the same problem and the same treatment.  Be sure to keep the foal's
hooves trimmed the way you want his legs to grow, consistently, before he
reaches 6 months of age.  This is extremely helpful, as the legs are young
and maleable and will follow the way the hooves are trimmed, i.e. if he toes
in, trim him low on the inside so his feet will reach for the high side, the
outside, thus straightening out eventually.  We've done this to two foals who
didn't have anything really serious, just a tendency to toe out, so we had
them trimmed low on the outside, and in time the feet reached for the high
side, the inside, and now the legs and feet are nice and straight.  Our
daughter's horse went on to become quite a jumper.

Barbara