winning mentality was reply to Tom Ivers re: re FEI

In a message dated 8/30/00 12:03:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Tivers@aol.com
writes:

<< Give me a break. If you had ever conditioned, built from the ground
up, a
 champion equine athlete, you'd belly laugh at your own statement. Show
me a
 good loser and I'll show you a loser--to quote Woddy Hayes.

>Boy is this an elitist, arrogant statement. Sorry but that is what I
call
>snotty. I don't know.I try not to belly laugh at anyone - and try to
teach
>our kids the same thing.
>San(who HAS conditioned a number of horses form the ground up and just
keeps
>plugging away.)

San,

Here's another good quote: "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up." In
my mind it ain't elitist or arrogant either. It's merely a statement. If
it's true, it's true. Mr. Ivers accomplishments with horses are a matter
of record.

Here's one of my favorite sayings: those who say that winning isn't
everything have never won anything. And don't give me crap about how
winning is different for each individual. Winning is winning. I can be
pleased about how well my horse did, but darn it, I want to win. If I
come up short, I evaluate the reasons, modify my approach and have at it
again. I admire anyone at the elite ranks of any sport because of what
it takes to get there. Heck, I don't know what it takes, but I know it's
extraordinary, because if it was ordinary, everyone could do it.

A winning mentality transcends the playing field (or running surface in
this case) and is difficult to explain to someone who just wants  to
putz or plug. The gulf between the two is outrageous enough for, well, a
good laugh. Then there's the gulf beyond that one where the world-class,
champion, elite athlete is. There's your belly laugh.

Continue plugging away, but please stop the moral outrage when you
encounter someone who's not content with that. It's OK to want to win.
Really.

Deaana (a sucker for a Woody Hayes quote)

Here's one worthy of an asbestos suit:
"It doesn't matter if you win or lose; it's how you played the game."
"Who said that?"
"A loser."