girth problems

Hi everyone.   I have a question- hopefully can get some suggestions.  have a 5 yr old arab gelding, tall and fairly narrow.
I've been riding him on and off the past 1  1/2 yrs.  Never had a girth problem before but
the past few months have been riding longer distances- maybe 10 -15 miles and several  times he's ended up w/ edema in the girth area.  it comes up an hr. or so after we are done riding and is gone by the next day.  it covers about a 6-8" area on both sides of his belly.
I use a DeSoto saddle that fits well.   the first time it happened was riding w/ a felt girth, changed to a thick fleece girth and it seemed OK then tonite w/ the fleece girth the edema came back.

I have a mohair girth - havnt tried it on this horse yet but am worried the rings on the buckle may irritate his sides.

any suggestions?
thanks-
Anita Carlson
&  KZ (endurance horse to be...)