reply...

I don't believe a horseman is gauged by his wins or even his desire to win...
I don't think the fact that I would rather ride in the company of others
instead of by my self and at times won't ride because I get tired of being by
myself disqualifies me as a horseman...  I believe that the true horseman are
the ones who know how much they don't know... who seek out those that are
better then themselves to gain knowledge, not necessarily to win but to
better take care of  their horses...  The fact that some are willing to
sacrifice their time like that to go for the win just makes them more
competitive than I am right now...
Don't get me wrong I like to win and used to do very well... but I don't have
the time or inclination to go out and ride alone for hours and hours any
more... When I had a house full of kids I relished the time alone on the
trail, but, adult kids, illness and desert riding (too boring) have changed
my prospective ... maybe when I get back east where there are woods and
beaches it will change again.   I love endurance for what it gives me... a
connection with my horses   I won't go to a ride until we are both ready, but
for now
 I just spend alot of time playing with my horses...just being in their
company.  Makes me happy for now ... as long as i am always learning, always
growing as a horseman... thats what it's all about   Blessings Mona
(this is probably alittle too sappy for some, so fire em' up)