Re: RC: Re: reply to Tom Ivers re: re FEI

In a message dated 8/30/00 8:38:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SandyDSA@aol.com
writes:

<< He completed a SLLOOWWWWWW 25 a few weeks ago
 (slower than we even planned because he threw a shoe!) and he is going for
 another MODERATE 25 this weekend. We are rating him for a reason, and going
 slower than recommended by the vets because we want him to live to run
 another day, even if ALL he ever does again is moderate anything. Did we
 finish with a happy horse last time? You bet your bippy we did! Studly
 thought he had died and gone to horse heaven! Would we push him just for a
 higher "placing" at any distance? Not on your life - or his! Does that make
 us iffy horse'men'? I think it make us better horse'men' than those who
would
 swagger about their many accomplishments whilst their horses languish worn
 and nasty in the paddocks.  Happy horses, sound horses = satisfied riders
 here!
 san >>

First off, getting into a competition with an "iffy" horse is an "iffy"
proposition. No matter how slow you go. While it is deathly boring to work at
home over terrain your horse is familiar with, slogging out those boring
miles with no human companionship, no campfires, no entertainment at
all--this is the life of a true conditioner of equine athletes. The life of a
horseman.

ti