RE: Arab Cross/Tall Horses (Trakehner cross)

Dawna,

If you breed your mare to a Trakehner and really want size, be certain to
search out a stallion who produces size when crossed on smaller horses and
breeds.  At least your mare is 15.1.  I have noticed alot of people crossing
their 14.3 hand Arabian mares with a 16.3 hand stallion, only to get a 15.1
hand half-Arabian.  If that's what you want, then great, but it's not much
of an improvement height wise.  For instance, I know that Justiz who is 17
or 17.1 hands, puts alot of height on all of his babies.  While Abdullah who
was 17 hands did not always improve on the mare's height alot, especially if
she was under 16 hands.  That is why I bought two Anglo-Trakehner mares to
cross my Arabian stallion on.  I want height and I have a much better chance
of getting the size and scope I want by breeding my stallion to mares who
are 16.1 and 16.3 hands.  It has been my observation that you usually (not
always but usually) get more of the mare's height than the stallion's, in
the foal produced.  Some mares produce bigger than themselves and some
stallions produce alot of height in their offspring.  If you don't know what
your mare will produce, then I think you are smart to want to investigate
what the stallion will likely do.  The ATA (American Trakehner Association)
has a great website which lists all of their approved stallions.   Bottom
line is to breed horses you like because if you wind up keeping them or not
able to sell them because of whatever new fad is currently in vogue, then
you might as well be happy with what you have.

- Karen Webb
Epiphany Arabians.