Re: RC: Reply from Michael Stone

The FEIs Michael Stone wrote:

 << It is the FEIs belief that
  a low completion rate is not necessarily a bad thing providing
  the pulled horses are fit to compete again in a short time. This low
completion
  only shows the vets are being strict. What we will not accept is a high
completion rate
  and many horses out of action for months afterwards. >>

 Dear Michael Stone:

 Thanks for "listening" in and responding.  Yes, the FEI does have very
strict veterinary standards and that fact alone is a very strong protection
for participating horses.  I'm sure, also, that the FEI has the welfare of
the horses as a top priority in its execution of the rules and standards.
Some people have been quick to condemn the FEI as a money ruled aristocracy.
I don't think that's the case, and it's nice to hear your reassurances.

 However, the quote above gives me pause.  I don't see how you can assume
that a low completion rate simply means the vets are being strict.  It can
mean lots of things.  It can mean dozens of people had really "bad luck."  It
can mean dozens of people used poor judgment, rode beyond their horse's
capacity, and got spun by the vets.  It can mean many people were unprepared.
 And it can mean the vets were strict, which I'm sure they were.  Strict vets
who pull a horse quickly are no reassurance, however, about the horse's
future performance.  Each pulled horse would have to be followed and
monitored for a long period of time to know how that one race impacted its
future.  No one will be doing this, so who will know what the high pull rate
really means for all of those horses.

 When you say, "What we will not accept is a high completion rate and many
horses out of action for many months afterwards," I have to think WHAT?  If
the vetting remains diligent and consistent, and there is a high completion
rate, then that means riders did their homework and competed with integrity
and skill.  This is the ideal scenario that the sport of international
endurance must achieve.  A high completion rate is what will get the notice
of the Olympic committee.  A high completion rate, regardless of what the
rider or owner's personal gain is, means the people who participate in this
sport have figured out how to succeed.  If the FEI continues to strive for
this outcome--competitions that promote preparation and skill--then no one
will have anything to complain about.  And the horses, the true athletes,
will thrive and survive.

 Michael, you said, "If a rider does not respect his horse and treat him
professionally he will not even complete let alone win."  Unfortunately, this
is not always the case.  If it was, no one would have anything to complain
about as far as this sport goes.  Horses are very forgiving and accept a lot
of abuse from humans, which is inflicted on them to achieve glory.  This is
not an FEI problem, it's a human problem.  People will mistreat horses to win
a mug, much less $50,000.

 In your closing, you wrote: "But like it or not there is money out there and
the challenge for us all is to use it to enhance our sport in a positive
way."  Beautiful!
 That's all I ask.  I couldn't agree more.  Thanks, again, for taking the
time to respond.

 Debi Gordon