old injuries and round pen work

Well as you all know I have the pleasure of working with two Mustangs that
my Landlord recieved from the BLM. (why?????? I haven't a clue)
accessing the situation I have stepped into the round pen with them. I spent
about five minutes figuring my game plan and thought for a few days about
proceeding or how I would proceed did some research tons of reading dusted
off the covers of some great books. I am ready to begin tomorrow however I
have one question concerning one of the guys. He has an old injury on his
left rear leg I am not sure what happened. With these guys it is hard
telling. However he does not appear to be in any pain. I am now concerned
about round penning him. I had thought about instead of keeping them at a
run or trot to perhaps just keep walking him and do more pushing at the walk
than at the trot. Working them both briefly in the five minutes I spent with
them I did have the head to lower and look at me. I was able to get my hand
about 1 inch from the muzzle of one. My head was down and not looking them
in the eye. This is the one I am concerned about. I want to give these guys
a good fighting chance for the sake of horse and human spirit. I am afraid
that If I don't give them a good start that he will get Johnny Rod Redneck
with the rotten teeth to do it. (my husbands take on the guy) I have about
two weeks to get the best out of them before my farrier shows up...YES I got
him to come up to me from 3 hrs away!! And he is wonderful with horses. I
have two weeks to get them going or Landlord is gonna ship them to Johnny
Rob Redneck rotten teeth To break them...I was already told by JRRRT quote
"thar aint no way in hell that no damn shoer gonna git near them horses an
pick up them feet"
I replied "then you are not doing it right."
I have to worry about these guys.... they didnt' have a fair chance in hell
where they came to...an owner with no horse sense and someone waiting in the
wings to break a wild horse instead of work with it.
Carla (praying hard!)
Ansata (me too mom Mee too!)
Haley (Ole rotten teeth lay a hand on em I will kick him!)
Rob (its called crest tooth paste....get some!!)
lawyer (the opinions expressed in this email is that of the author and does
not reflect those of Ridecamp or their affiliates..However, in fact the guy
does have rotten teeth and needs a good dentist.)