Re: RC: RE: trees

I'm not sure why I'm replying to this, or why I'm even on the computer, since
I went to work at 5:30 am and got home at 9:45 pm...and gotta do the same
tomorrow...

There have been some good points made by many folks on this issue.  But - I
want to say a couple of things.  First, Bob, you wondered what would happen
if we had nothing but old growth.  I don't think anyone wants nothing but old
growth.  However, many people (me included) want SOME old growth left.
You're right that when a 500 yr old tree is cut, new ones will grow.  But
that tree will not be "replaced" in our lifetime.  A 50 yr old redwood is NOT
the same thing as a 500 yr old one!!  Not physically, not ecologically, not
even close.

Barbara, you wrote ""I see proper selective harvesting, and proper forest
management, as a two-way
benefit....man has the use of this wonderful resource to help house and
shelter him, the forest re-growth helps cleanse the air.  It seems like a
win-win situation."

Excellent points.  I'm all for forest management, use of trees at a
sustainable level to produce goods, as well as jobs.  Trees generate a lot of
jobs - not just for the timber industry, but on down the line as the trees
are converted to products we use.  Several decades ago, many forests were not
being harvested at a sustainable level.  It was beleived that they were...but
when defining "sustainable", one has to look farther down the road than 50 or
60 years.  Unless man totally trashes the planet (a distinct possibility,
IMO), we'll be here for a long time.  Gotta make those forests last.

Barbara also wrote, "It's also a winning situation for the wildlife, because
contrary to what some believe, deer and birds and other wildlife do not
thrive in a heavily overstoried forest.  There's no sunlight, no small plants
(forbes) that the deer eat, and not even the insects for the birds.  Birds do
not like deep dark forests. "

Umm, as a wildlife biologist involved directly with forest managemen, I have
to disagree here.  Some species of wildlife NEED the dense, heavily forested
habitats you mention.  Others, as you correctly state, do not thrive in it.
Deer are an example - they need early successional (younger, more open)
habitat to fine the types of browse they need.  There are plenty of insects
in deep forest, and plenty of birds using them.  Some species that come to
mind are Varied Thrushes and Winter Wrens in the northwest...I could name
more.  What about the famous (infamous?) Spotted Owl?

Guess I have to add a comment on the fires, too...it's true that decades of
fire suppression have lead to incredible fuel loads that are making fires
more catastrophic than they were historically.  However, there is a lot of
research on fire return frequency, etc. that show that there were severe
fires like this hundreds of years ago.  Face it - conditions out there now
are very unusual...and frankly, I don't think that, even if our forests were
in the best of conditon, we'd be fire-free.  Fires would be less severe, I'm
sure, but they'd still be bad.  I think Sandy said something about God having
a pyro-moment...well put!

Sorry to add to the number of non-horse related posts...I had a couple more
things I wanted to say, but can't remember them...time to go to bed.

Dawn in Texas (Forest Service wildlife biologist)