Tin Cup Springs Prologue

Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 4:14 PM
Subject: Tin Cup Springs Prologue

This is NOT your traditional ride story but I hope you enjoy it anyway.  Delete it if you don't...

Through Malik's eyes...

After our accident in June, my mom, Maggie has been very careful with me.  For those of you who didn't know about it, I sort of lost my head over a passing mare and then lost my footing in some sand at the Hopkins Creek ride.  I went down, my mom went off... not a pretty scene!  My folks were pretty upset but the vet (Randy Rice) and the rest of the folks at the ride took really good care of me there and after I went home, my leg healed fast.  It was only a bad bruise and not a tendon injury which was what everyone feared.  But I missed a bunch of rides and Mom took it very slowly the rest of the summer.  She gave me alot of rest which I didn't really appreciate.  I think she was kind of nervous and I was kind of naughty at first when she started riding me again but I couldn't help it!!  I am a boy, ya know and I wanted to get OUT there and be MOVING!!  When I want her to know I am unhappy with her, I do a very nice Pepe LePiew (sp?) bounce.  Makes her mad and makes Jennifer (her daughter) laugh as Mom hollers "WHAT is he doing with his legs?".  "HOW is he doing it?".  Max, my riding buddy and Jennifer's horse, just motors down the trail and doesn't pay any attention to my antics.  He isn't impressed.  But I know he has his little sidesteps he does to Jenny when he's being naughty.  He isn't such a goody two shoes...well, to make a long story short, they finally took me to a ride again.  I thought they would never get around to it.  Mom took so much time taking me out and making me practice in the sand and griping about getting my feet up!! Sheesh, what did she think I was doing?  Swimming in the sand?  So, they finally got around to taking me to a ride...guess what?  My old galpal, Dallas, went with us, too!!  That got me kind of excited!!  We haven't been to a ride together since last summer!!  I think she's a pretty hot babe.  In fact, I was sort of hopping around in the trailer too much and scraped my leg.  When we got to the ride and my dad, Nelson, saw my leg bleeding, HE started hopping up and down...he was pretty ticked off with me.  I was showing off for Dallas when he backed me out of the trailer and he got even madder...Mom had to help me out with that.  Dad wanted to just get me back in the trailer and go home but Mom wouldn't let him.  She said if I couldn't go out, then Max and Dallas still could and I'd have to sit in camp and wait.  I didn't like THAT idea.  It didn't hurt and when Mom trotted me for Dad to see, I made sure to move like a million bucks to show them it didn't!  The vet said it was just a scrape and the exercise would help any swelling anyway.  They sprayed REALLY cold, icy water on it with one of those dang garden sprayers.  I like it when I'm hot and it really cools me down but boy, there was so much to see and do, I didn't want to stand still for that.  I have to admit, though, it did make it feel better and I finally stood there for Mom to spray it awhile.  When I vetted in, the vet said I looked GREAT.  I remember this guy from the ride in May (when I won Best Condition at the Little Manistee Memorial Ride) and I sure like him.  His name is Steve Halstead and he says some pretty flattering things about me.  I am not so sure I appreciate him telling my mom about those 100 mile rides he thinks I'll be able to do someday.  He could have kept his mouth shut about THAT!!  Otherwise, he's cool.  At the ride, Mom shoves some more of her delicious COBB in my face... she says that stands for corn, oats, barley and beet pulp.  Well, whatever it is, it has cherry flavored oil in it and it's delicious.  She wets it down for me and adds carrots and apples....mmmmm, mmmmm GOOD!  She is my grain goddess!!   I had been getting lots of it all week, 3 times a day, sometimes 4 and ALL the grass hay I could eat...some gal named Susan told her a bunch of stuff about hydration and gut motility and electrolyte balances and all kinds of stuff (you'll have to ask my mom about that...).  Well, whatever they are doing, it must work, because I FELT great and looked marvelous, too (if I do say so myself!).  Well, everyone else said so, too, so it must be true!!  I don't know what the lady with the Appy is grumbling about though...she is prejudiced about my color.  Apparently my GREY spots aren't the kind of spots she likes.  I don't care what color her mare is....I'm willing and able!  Mom says this is getting too long and it's time for a break...she wants to clean off her keyboard (my hooves are a little rough on it) and check her ebay auctions.  So, I'll have to finish later...
Mashallah Almalik
AERC# H30565