Re: RC: RE: Re: $$$$$

In a message dated 8/28/00 10:19:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time, BMcCrary27
writes:

<<
 << Well, it's more complicated than that.

 Are you able to shed some light on this statement...can you elaborate?  It
might help us to understand better.

 Barbara >>

The UAE represents a complex society that is radically different than most
western cultures. I'm still trying to figure it out. But there are some
things that are impossible in that society and other things that are not what
they appear. For example, the "money is everything" attitude is more often
manifested in the behavior of those without money, particularly in political
ways.

The UAE appears to want to be the best at everything, but the way they spend
the money that they have works against them in that goal. They are
stimulating competition and getting themselves beaten by those who suddenly
see incentive in producing elite endurance athletes. My advice to them is to
stop spending money that way--stop paying outrageous sums for "made" horses.
Stop putting up large purses. And focus, instead, on the infrastructure of
professionalism that will ensure the production of top athletes over the long
term.

But it seems that their desire is to promote the sport, because it fits their
culture. Because horses and camels represent their culture. Horse sports are
very important to them. As is competition.

At the same time, "infrastructure" is a foreign concept. They are a young
country entering the modern age. 35 years ago, everyone was a bedouin,
struggling for survival in the desert. They are trying to catch up with the
rest of the world with a single asset: oil money. The leaders of the UAE are
trying to build an infrastructure, but it is a difficult proposition--by
necessity, most of the "professionals" within the country are foreigners,
brought in to lift the society by its bootstraps into the modern age. Slowly,
universities are being built, businesses and industries are being built, and
emiratis are learning the ways of the rest of the world--far more quickly
than other oil-rich nations.

But that takes time, it cannot be done overnight. And it requires huge
expenditures to accomplish. And, of course, the rest of the world flock in to
Dubai and Abu Dhabi to walk away with as much of that "loose money" as they
can grab. It would not surprise me if, from that experience alone, the
emiratis conclude that the western world is a huge pack of whores and all
that is to be negotiated is the price. We reap what we sow.

And the Emiratis are planting some seed in endurance competition that can
only result in their own defeat. This, it appears to me, for the love of the
sport itself. Yes, they want to be victorious, yes they'll compete hard, yes,
they'll try to assemble the best athletes they can for competition. And,
hopefully, they'll realize soon enough that spreading their money around like
they have been in recent years is not a good idea--that, instead, they should
be investing it in their own infrastructure, their own research, their own
conditioning protocols--and then, in a couple of years, go out and REALLY
kick some butt.

Give these guys a little slack. They want to be the best, in all aspects of
the sport. They're learning. And, meanwhile, they're paying far more than
their dues in hard currency that is benefitting the entire sport.

If your political agenda is against money, against competition--then you're
in a different sport. Go with the organization that is politically correct
and non-competitive--I'm not talking about you, here, Barbara, just that kind
of activist mind-set. That mind-set will be just as disruptive in a NICER
organization as it is in the real world--mark my word.

ti