Re: crops

>would someone please explain to me why a person would ride an endurance ride
>with a crop???I've heard their explanation that they need to get the horses
>attention ---especially at the beginning of the ride---which sounds kind of
>strange but...OK...whatever...but why would ANYONE need a crop the last 50
>miles of a ride???Surely you've managed to get your horses' attention by
>then???(stallion owners need not reply);o]

I can see it a bit at the beginning when the brains are making an attempt
to vacate...BUT, beyond that, the horse should be trained well enough off
the leg that a whip or spurs would never be needed.  If you need to whip
them to go forward, they're too tired...or (different scenario) they need
more training to get rid of balking.

I carry one for training rides all of the time.  Why?  I'm most often lead
horse and it helps knock down the spider webs!  It's also useful for moving
blackberry branches out of the way -- or closer to you when you find a big
clump of juicy berries just out of your reach.  Occasionally I use it to
give Blaze a tap on the shoulder to remind him to quit dancing back and
forth on the trail to avoid the "spooky" dead ferns or stumps -- a game he
gets into since he's not really scared of them...just wants the entertainment.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.