Re: RC: $$$$$

In a message dated 08/27/2000 5:54:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
hikryrdg@evansville.net writes:

<< That is because they don't breed, raise, train, and live with them day in
 and
 day out. This is a sport that requires
 a deep felt relationship between the rider and the horse. Without it you are
 lost.  I just hate to see such good material
 (our horses) going over there and are waisted on vanity.  Jerry

Jerry, it was so satisfying to be able to turn down an Arab sheikh who once
called and wanted to buy Lud's horse.  Lud had won and BCed all five days of
a multi-day ride in 1992, and the sheikh had seen these results in the AERC
yearbook.  He called twice to try to buy the horse (shich we still have).  I
finally told him that the horse was a family member, my husband liked him and
did not want to sell.  Nothing more heard.
I don't know what's going to come of this vast amount of money being thrown
into the sport by the Arabs, nor the FEI rules threatening to close in on our
American sport.  I swore, 15 years ago, that I would fight having FEI rules
control our "local" aspect of the sport, simply because a vast majority of
our riders just want endurance to be fun and personally challenging.  If FEI
rules start controlling the fun part of our sport, I predict that many, many
of our riders will drop out and AERC will diminish in membership, we among
them.  I felt AERC could operate on two levels, with those interested in the
international scene participating as they wish.  I hope it can continue this
way, without international control.

Barbara