crops and stuff...

On riding with crops and more...

I saw one mare that was always lazy - she was smart too.  If the rider carried
a crop - never used - she moved right out.  W/o the crop - it was a struggle
to get her moving and keep her going...

In two other cases - one in the west - the person behind me was using
her crop to try to push her tired horse into catching up to me.  I didn't
like it at all and thought she was abusing her horse.

The other case is a well known SE rider who carries a long whip that she
will snap behind her horse to push it on the ride.  She never hit the
horse with it but cautioned me not to get too close...  and not to get
startled when I heard the "crack"...

Mike