Re: RE: Calling All LD Riders

Or alternatively, why not?  I know of at least one person for whom this is
their favorite type of ride. The bod just won't handle 50s, much less
multi-day 50s.... but the LDs are really fun for them.

> Better yet, Bob, why would anyone want to ride LD multi day???

Seems to me that the vast majority of horses doing LD *at all* are not under
60 months and I don't think anyone has demonstrated that horses under 60
months doing multi-day LDs is anything other than an isolated event.  While
it might be appropriate to institute a rule restricting horses under 60
months from doing consecutive-day LDs, I think that the "over legislation"
argument is also compelling.  Don't veterinarians on these rides already
have authority to pull a horse or refuse to let him start?  However, I do
think such a rule warrants serious consideration.

As for the argument that it puts horses under 60 months at a disadvantage in
terms of points accumulation, my response would be "so what."  If the rule
is put in place for the well-being of young horses, that should override any
consideration of points or competition.

My two cents... and I'm out of change...

Kirsten

Kirsten Price
James E. Rogers College of Law
Director - GPSC Showcase 2000