re: S10 Towing

Susan G wrote:
>>I used to pull a smallish 2-horse trailer (one horse, minimal
equipment)
with a 4WD V6 Toyota pickup with a manual transmission.  It did well
enough
pulling, climbing hills and so forth, the big difference came when
conditions were bad.  Crosswinds pushed it all over the road and the one
time I had to swerve sharply to avoid an idiot driver, the whiplash in
trying to correct almost did us in.  That was with antisway bars,
electric
brakes, big hitch, etc.  It can be done, but just be aware that you don't
have the stability you do with a heavier truck, and drive accordingly. I
pull with a dually now and only notice crosswinds if the semis in front
of
me start swaying back and forth.

Guess I should add that the type of small truck you have makes a
lot of difference in how well the rig handles.  A 4-wheel drive is
typically taller and a bit less stable than a longbed 2-wheel drive
model.  The shorter the wheelbase and the higher it is off the
ground the worse it will handle towing a load.  An SUV like a
Bronco II or an S10 Blazer would be the worst handling of the
bunch.

My Ranger was a 2-wheel drive supercab so I had some advantage
over a 4wd Toyota - even though the Toyota might have more
horsepower!  And I would not go back to the Ranger since I have
been pulling my gooseneck with my F250 diesel for several years now.
It's all kinda relative......

Again  YMMV
Dave Bennett
Georgia