S10 Truck Towing

Dave Bennett mdbennett@tva.gov
April - I pulled a 2-horse steel Cherokee Hunter trailer with my 87 Ford Ranger
for several years.  It had a 2.8 L V6 with standard transmission.
It was fine on the road and had no trouble pulling, even when
going through the mountains to do the Biltmore ride in Ashville.  Daniel's on
the right track with the class 3 hitch, which I think is a necessity with a
smaller truck and advisable on others, too.  Also, the big thing that I saw is
that the trailer must have brakes, which means adding a controller in the tow
truck.  If they are functioning properly you should have no problem with the
S10.  Without electric brakes - or maybe surge brakes - it takes a long time
to stop the rig with two horses and all your gear.
Like always, YMMV

Good Riding
Dave Bennett
Chickamauga, Georgia

April wrote:
>>>We definitely want to invest in a bigger truck eventually, but Daniel wants
to use the S10 until we can save the money to buy.  I'm just not sure we CAN
use the S10 in the meantime.

Some stuff about the truck.  It's suspension has been tightened (whatever
that means).  It has a class 3 hitch bolted to the frame of the truck (as
opposed to using the bumper hitch).  Automatic transmission.  V6 engine.  No
anti-sway bar, but the manual recommends it if pulling over 2000 pounds (any
idea on the cost for that?).  Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 4200#.  Gross
Axle Weight Rating Front is 2500#.   Gross Axle Weight Rating Rear is 2300#.
No info about Gross Combination Weight Rating.