Re: RC: Chevy S10

In a message dated 08/20/2000 7:52:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
adlee@bigfoot.com writes:

<< And I have a fiancé with a Chevy S10.  He's
 convinced that the truck can pull a horse trailer with at least 1 horse in
 it.  I'm concerned about stopping power, weight of the trailer outweighing
 the truck, strain on the V6 engine, etc.  If the trailer has electric
 brakes, will that help with stopping power?

 Anybody out there use a Chevy S10 with V6 to haul horses? >>

I had a Chevy S-10 once, and it would pull a steel 2-horse (standard old
kind, not slant load) and one horse. I sold the truck because it felt unsafe.
 The tail was wagging the dog.  I just felt it hadn't the stopping power, nor
the stabillity on the road.  However, my daughter trailered her horse with
her S-10 (1 year later model, slightly more powerful engine than mine).  We
both had automatic transmission, as I remember.  Now I have a Dodge Dakota,
slightly larger truck, 5-speed stick shift, and lots of heft.  Pulls two
horses, stops well, and the trailer doesn't wag the truck.  Love it!  It's
half way between the S-10 and full-sized truck.  The best of both worlds.
BTW, our sister-in-law has pulled a rare 3-horse (side by side load) with her
GMC S-15, the GMC equivalent of the S-10.  She says it's fine, but I surely
wasn't happy with my S-10 as far as the feeling of safety.  We have HILLS
around here, and plenty of highway traffic.  And yes, you should have
electric brakes, no matter what you are pulling the trailer with.

Barbara