RE: Alpha Mare - New to endurance

Kim,
I have a similar mare.  She is very competitive and has done endurance in
the past.  I am working toward endurance and doing CTR in the meantime.  CTR
gives you a little more incentive to try to find a way to communicate with
your horse as you'll get marked down if you bunch up behind other horses and
that sort of thing.  We are still a work in progress, but I've found a
couple things that helped.

The first is actually luck.  If you can stay out of the main traffic flow
and find a nice window to travel in, you can work on your communication
without the distraction of the other horses.  She'll still know they're out
there and want to catch up, but if she doesn't see them, she'll be more
likely to start listening to you.

The other thing that helped with my mare was a big major argument in the
middle of a ride.  I spent the first day of a CTR trotting behind horses
that were walking, right on their tails.  The second day, we got a break and
left a water stop before everyone else.  My mare hates constant bit contact
and will shake her head and rear a bit if she wants to go and I won't let
her.  Since I was alone on a wide trail, I had room to fight and she was
slightly more willing to listen.  I just talked and talked and tried to have
my actions demonstrate what I was saying.  What I was saying was "you get as
much rein as you want if you walk" and "if you walk when I ask, I'll let you
trot when it's reasonable".  If she reared, I pulled her around.  If she
pulled and broke to a trot, she got a long heavy pull on one rein, til she
was bending, then release and do the other.  It worked.  I can now keep her
at a walk while another horse trots by.

I'm still working on keeping the trot under control, but we'll get there.  I
like the suggestion someone else had of making her work hard if she's in
front.  I think I'll try that with my mare when we do our first endurance
ride - but  at this point, I think I'd chicken out before she does!

Good Luck,
Marlene