pleasant dreams before a ride

Now I don't know about you people but I just can't sleep the night before
a ride. Its horrible I spend the hole night trying to get some shut-eye
then by the time I need to  get up and ready to go I am so exhausted.
The last ride I did I only got like 3 hours of sleep by the time I got in
to the first vet check I laid down and slept while my crew worked away.
I have tried everything from sleeping pill which make me groggy, to wine
which makes me sick to my stomach. Any advice would be appreciated.
Desperately seeking sleep
Colleen K.