Fw: Re: RE: buck-o-rama

Mary Tweleponies is right in that some difficult horses are the result of
poor handling.

However, after nearly 70 years of dealing with many different horses,  there
are some that are either retarded (for want of a better word),  true rogues,
or just plain nuts.   I only know one that ever came out of what I called a
"nervous breakdown" whole mentally.  This one "came back" by being left
completely alone for 6 months.  He was bought thru a sale ring at 3yrs, good
looking but wild acting, we were buying unbroke colts at the time.   When we
got him home he was really strange, one minute he acted friendly, next
wanted to attack, bite, strike, whirl and kick.  Generally erratic overall.
Before we had time to do much with him, he and another new gelding strayed
to the high country, wintered out and were not found till the next summer.
He came in bright eyed, slick, and very nice horse.   I broke him to ride,
he was quick to learn, game, honest, athletic,  never spooky.   Topped the
sale when I sold him, and so far as I ever heard never had any behavior
problems.    I'm sure his problem was caused by poor handling, but for all
practical purposes, he cured himself.

This one was an exception.   Most treacherous horses stay just that.  Even
if a really good hand  can deal with them, they are still dangerous, and
undependable.
All the advice to "get rid of him" is right on!!!    Why put your life and
health, money, and time, into something like this?    There are many nice
ones you can get on and ride today.  Quit while you, and your friends, and
any trainers,  are still ahead.

Dot