Tevis Horse Rescuer Tries to Shed Some Light

David Putnam lizard@neworld.net
Howdy Ridecampers,

This is kinda-one-of-those deals where I am not sure where to start. I first caught wind of this incident on my ham radio on the way to hang at the Tevis finish. I was growing in curiosity and urgency within myself as the evening went on and I was discovering there was a lack of information on what exactly was going on. So I clicked into my detective-mode to look at the feasibility of a possible rescue, what happened to the horse, whether a rescue was even necessary, when and where. It was dark by then. I instigated several discussions with several of the "Ride Management" people. As I recall, I don't think they had enough information to make a decision either, mixed with a disturbing term called "It is the rider's responsibility".

I wanted to find a magic wand and immediately locate the rider and find out everything I could to determine whether we should go out that night or at the first light of dawn. So around midnight or after, I decided to leave the Auburn Overlook (Tevis finish) and go home, frustrated and feeling absolutely helpless inside.

First thing in the morning (Sunday), I called the Sheriff Dept. and they said they would call Animal Control and have them call me. Two and a half hours later, no call back, so I called the Sheriff again, told them this was unacceptable and I needed some information right away. They gave me Denise's husband's cell number where I left 6 or 7 messages/pages and finally got a return call around 3 p.m. Just before that, Steve Elliott called from the Fairgrounds (award ceremony) and asked whether I had heard anything. I said no but I am getting ready to go out there myself right now and he said, excellent, me and Dale Petterson want to go too so we met at the Raley's parking lot at 4 p.m.after loading ropes, chain saw, extra radios, first aid supplies, bottle water, bute, horse blanket, food, lights, climbing gear, safety ropes, etc.

On the way down there, I got a call from Denise, we all met and I had the feeling like we were just about ready to walk through the Perly Gates together as Denise is crying because she can't beleive that someone cares enough to do something and here we are doing it. The thing is, folks, she really appreciated this from the bottom of her spirit and we had been hearing some demonizing of her and lots of comments about her horse being confirmed dead. For me, the big picture was, let's go find out whether the horse IS dead or injured, or what? Dale brought his 38 with him just in case and all the way out there, we all discussed that it is absolutely important to not judge Denise or judge this incident. We are there for one purpose only and that is to find out the truth and rescue this horse, if need be.

You all know the horse is fine. We hydrated the horse and spent an hour waiting for him to hydrate and we searched around and came up with only two possible exits. Let's stop right here for a second and discuss the terrain: Presumably, Denise was supposed to handle this by herself when the incident happened. For me, I come from a background of being raised in logging camps in Oregon and being involved in logging operations in this type of terrain. I have 30-years experience in remote microwave towers installations worldwide. I have climbed Mt. Shasta to its summit at 3 a.m., pitch black, crampons for ice climbing and all kinds of safety ropes etc.

Now, I looked down this ravine at good ole Willie boy and I said to myself oooooooooo, this is not exactly going to be a cake walk. We all agreed to stop and think and consider the whole situation. Dale and Steve went back to the truck for more equipment if needed and I am standing there talking with Fred Jenson on the ham radio (who had not been to bed yet from running the radio shack at the Tevis finish). We are trying to find somebody willing to come out with a trailer and eventually located Bill Pryer, also a ham operator. BUT, the sun just went down over the ridge, we are half way down into the canyon, and dark is just a short time away.

I learned that Willie took jumping lessons and that Harriett was his main handler besides Denise and so Harriett and I decided that now was it. I kicked a little 6 inch-wide path with my boots and we talked about THE plan. The plan was in different sections. I watched Willie put his feet on that 6-inch wide cut each step of the way and we traversed up to a rocky ledge above an oak tree. Not enough room for a horse and two people but we did it anyway. Then we took the next section and the section after that and came up to the trail.

What I learned from this? doing the rescue was easy for me based on my background and experiences. Therefore it is easier for me to see other people's dilemna when it comes to a situation like this. Not all of us grow up rough and tumble, bungie jumping and repelling off El Capitan! I realize these people need people like us for help. This ride is participated by many walks of life, some of those walks of life don't know what to do in a situation like this and that's where I come in.

Ride Management has their plates full with managing the ride, not rescuing horses, that's where Steve and I come in. We have already started the ball rolling to provide this service, even better, for next year's Tevis and other endurance rides in Northern California. If any of you would like to apply for a position with a very select criteria, in a horse rescue unit that is willing to be trained in this special endeavor, contact me at this email address.If you manage rides who need our service, please contact me. We have received some donations already to purchase equipment and need more.

A lot of people have the opportunity to learn from this experience and I have learned that the deepest learning is very private and non verbal, assumptions are deadly. Never give up on the Great Spirit. Let this be the lesson.

David Putnam