Re: RC: Naive conditioning question

In a message dated 8/11/00 8:46:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
grizzlyan@mindspring.com writes:

<< 've been conditioning my 7-year-old mare every other day, 30-60 min., for 3
 months, fast walking and trotting (gaiting, actually; she's a Peruvian).
 Before that she'd been ridden little if any.

 My question is whether daily conditioning, 30-60 min., will improve her
 conditioning faster.

 Regards,

 Michael Sherrell >>

You have to learn the concept of "periodization". Begins with work days
followed by recovery days (a microcycle would be a week). Expands to include
work weeks followed by recovery weeks(a month is a minicycle). Your
macrocycles are the off season and the competitive season.

You can do a lot more work on work days if they're followed by recovery days.
However, during the buildup stage, individual days are much more like each
other than during final preparation and competition. Oh, and the horse should
do some significant work every day.

ti