Re: RC: RE: Dead/Alive -TEVIS RESCUE Part 2

In a message dated 8/10/00 11:54:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< >no need for an ambulances and rock climbers standing by the sides of the
 >trails---just SOME PROVISION for assistance made in advance.

I'm confused here.  Tevis DOES have provisions for emergencies (they
apparently didn't work swiftly this time, but....).  There are Tev Sweep
riders who are extremely organized and prepared for emergencies and from what
I have always understood, volunteers who will step up and do just what
happened -- go find the horse.  I think the remoteness of that trail  make
for a much more difficult "rescue" scenario than the average ride.  That is
why I carry tons more stuff with me on Tevis than I do on most rides.  This
year I carried an extensive first aid kid, a cell phone AND a walkie-talkie,
plus tons of other junk (not to mention all those little PB&J squares --
yum).  You're just pretty waaaay out there at some points.  Not that any of
THAT stuff would have helped this particular situation (I guess if you could
figure out how to pack a crane with you, that might have helped).  There's
kind of a funny saying about the Tevis (besides the one "This ain't a ride
for snivellers")...Its something like "No horse has ever been lost on this
trail for more than 2 weeks").

I'm really glad that the story did have a happy ending!!  My heart goes out
to anyone in that situation -- what a nightmare!

Sylvia