RE: wscript.KAK email virus thing (not horse related)

Jessica Gothie teep@bedford.net
Something I can contribute!  Usually I feel so clueless...

TO TEST for email virus infection:

Send an email message (it can just say testing, no biggie)
to 'teep@bedford.net' (that's me). If you are clean, nothing
happens.  If you are infected AND are sending out the virus to
other people, our server will REFUSE to deliver your email and
sends you back a virus warning message along the lines of:

"V I R U S  A L E R T
Our viruschecker found a VIRUS in your email to "teep@bedford.net".

Found the WScript.KAK virus !!! (or whatever the name of the virus
is)

(there's more stuff in there but don't worry about it, that
stuff is at the top)

If you ARE infected, you will need to download the
two following files:

http://www.getvirushelp.com/Kak/KakCleaner.exe

and

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/IE/IE-Public/Fixes/usa/Eyedog-fix/x86/q240308.exe

Download both and SAVE THEM to your desktop, then run the
kakcleaner FIRST (it may spit up one error, do not worry)
and afterwards run the eyedog fix from microsoft.  If you're
not currently infected but DO use Outlook Express or Microsoft
Outlook on a Windows 98 or Windows 95 computer, you should get
the second one (the microsoft one) and run it to PREVENT getting
infected in the first place.  (Once you've run them, you can
right click on the files to delete them from your desktop, you
don't need them anymore.)

When you've done that, then check to see if you're still infected
by sending another test email to teep@bedford.net, if no virus
alert comes back, you're clean.

Hope that this helps.  Don't sweat overloading my email box, I'm
on 2 t1's to the internet (not a modem) and have a very robust
email program.

Jessica U. Gothie -- admin., bedford.net, Inc.