Re: RC: Update on Donte/new project horse

In a message dated 8/9/00 8:06:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time, RhndLev@cs.com
writes:

<< Can I jump in here?  Special was injured about three weeks ago in a fight
 with another mare.  Her off front leg was the same size from knee to
fetlock.
  Vet found no broken bones and said there was no tendon involvement, but did
 not do a sonogram.  Is it possible to know there is no tendon involvement
 without a sonogram? >

No, but with all the swelling, even a sonogram might not give youthe complete
picture right now.

 >In any case, I have been massaging and running icy cold water on her leg in
 pulsing stream for 5-15 minutes a day twice a day.  I attempted to stall her
 and she began pawing and pacing and the swelling in her leg increased, so I
 turned her back out on pasture.  The swelling on her leg is almost gone and
 her leg is at about the same point as in the quote above.  On the inside her
 leg just to the side of cannon there is a small knot that rolls just a
 little, but there is also a small swelling that remains on her knee.  She is
 sound at the walk and trot, but trots much slower than her norm and has not
 been performing her gait in the pasture (she's a TWH).  Is there anything
 else that I should be doing for my horse -- other than continuing to avoid
 riding her?>

At this point, alternate hot and cold treatments. If there is bruising, the
hot treatments will help move out the debris from bruising while the cold
treatments will control the edema. Let it settle down for a while and then
take a closer look at the remaining painful areas. You may get out of this
one clean.

ti

 Rhonda and Special