RC: Excessive urination

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

I have a gelding that pees more than normal.
The literature says a horse pees about every 4 hours,
and it should be a milky yellow color.
He pees about every 2 hours when he's ridden.
My Vet said that a horses urine should not be clear.
If it is, then it could be poor water absorption
due to an electrolyte imbalance (water just going in one end and
 out the other) or some other problem.

I've had my gelding's blood work done, and tests
on a urine sample.
His drinking is not excessive, but if it were
I'd be worried, as that can be an  indication of problems.

Everything checks out OK with him, so with it may just be
a small bladder.  He's 13 and been like this since I bought him
at 4.

I also had a mare once, that had some hormonal problems
and she urinated VERY frequently, small volumes,
(about every hour) when ridden. Here heats were too often
and lasted pretty long.
My Vet could not find any thing definitive even after checking
hormone level, an internal and urine & blood sample.
  This recified it's self after about 6 months and
she was OK the rest of her life.

I guess the point is to rule out s medical problem and try to
decide if this guy just pees more than the average horse.
and to decide whether to worry or not..

Good luck.
Barb