...and they're off!!

Barb Thomas thomas@amgen.com
It's 615 a.m. as I walk down the drive.  A hummingbird who has found the guywire of the hotwalker a perfect perch for his tiny feet chirps a greeting.  There is a misty fog over the corrals and the horses are moving shadows in the early light  Marine layer, they call the fog; sea poop I call it.  Kruschev and Rams Z are calmly munching their hay not yet knowing that this is the day.  Terry and Steph are making last minute checks and getting ready.  630 and Steph wraps K's legs.  Now they know for sure.  Rams Z, the pro, continues to eat, getting all he can.  K eats and calmly walks around the corral, looking up the trail, giving Wind Dancer one last nuzzle good bye.  "So long, my love.  I promise I won't leave you for zee French bebe."  His new leather halter comes out and with his sheet and wraps, he cuts quite a handsome and athletic profile.  Rams is still munching, looking very fit, well muscled, sleek and shiny.  He's quite a looker with his beautiful face, eye and long neck.  The mist still hangs over the yard and there is now an air of calm anticipation.  Even the cats who are normally in the feedroom at this hour are hanging out, watching the activity.  7 a.m.  Time to go.  K and Rams leave their corrals in unison, looking toward the trailer, all business.  Kruschev starts up the driveway as the mist is lifting and the sun shines through it, creating an aura of light and halo, pale shadows that make the horses silloettes fading in and out of the light.  Kruschev, the handsome multimillionare businessman, walks onto the trailer and settles in.  Rams Z, the Adonnis athelete, stands at the top of the driveway, head up, neck arched, eagle-eyed with the sun splashing through the mist on his bay coat.  He's ready!  Onto the trailer he goes, doors close, final checks are made.  Passports and airline tickets are located, truck and Expedition start, doors slam, 703...and they're off!!  LAX to Newark to Amsterdam, then by van to France!  Safe travels for all the U.S. Team, best of luck in France.  GO TEAM U.S.A.!