National Championship

Marci Cunningham mcunningham@calcot.com
I may step on a few toes here, but I think the whole National
Championship idea could be eliminated.  We have lots of regional
awards and lots of national awards other than the National
Championships.  I actually qualified my gelding, Koztarr, for
the 100 mile championship but it never entered my mind to attend
the ride.  Why?  Because I didn't want to spend the money or
time going to a ride so far away when I have so many rides close by to choose from.  Yes, my decision is different from others.

Maybe more emphasis could be placed on
the regional champions and sponsorship money could be used to
enhance those awards along with the other national awards
such as the family award, pioneer award, stallion award,
best condition award, husband & wife award, hundred mile award,
and mileage championship award.  To me, and perhaps only to me,
these awards are more meaningful than a race off in one ride.
I am not trying to take away from the accomplishments of those
who are participating in our current Nat'l Championship, but I
question the format for determining National Champions and if
AERC really needs to designate National Champions in this
catagory.  Maybe the first place award for each weight division
in the regional catagories could be awarded at the AERC
convention banquet.

I hope my post stimulates some creative thinking and not a
flame war.

Happy Trails,
Marci Cunningham
7,000+ miles (finally)