RC: Complete Beginner

Liz,

I'm kind of a beginner too. I've been at this distance riding thing for
a few years and now have a young horse that is my endurance prospect. I
haven't done any 50 milers, so I'll leave it to the "old pros" to tell
you specifics of endurance, but I'll tell you some things from a newbie
perspective that I think will help.

These are of equal importance:
1. Find a mentor. Or two. Or as any as you can get. If you don't know
anyone, you will after you do #2.

2. Call the ride management of any of the rides on your list and tell
them you'd like to come and see what it's all about. Volunteer to help
out (a great way to make instant friends). When you go to the ride,
leave your horse at home so you won't be distracted.

After you've been to a ride, you'll be infinitely more prepared to bring
your horse with you to the next one. I personally think that some of the
"old pros" of this sport forget how much there is to learn for a newbie.
I ask questions incessantly and have always found ride vets and riders
to be more than willing to answer. Sometimes really long answers. Be
willing to learn and open to new ideas.

3. Contact your local or regional Arab club and find out if there are
Competitive Trail Rides (CTRs) in your area. Consider doing CTR before
you do LD or endurance. CTRs are not races and the emphasis is placed on
the horse's condition and how well you take care of your horse. If
you're good at conditioning and taking care of your horse, you will have
fewer problems in endurance. There are so many potential metabolic and
soundness problems that can arise if you don't know what you're doing.

There are all sorts of resources on-line from the ridecamp archives and
FAQs, to the rules on AERC's site, to the publication that IAHA puts
out, but these are no substitute for observing a ride, asking questions
of riders and vets, and listening to answers.

IMNSHO

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Deanna (Ohio)