RE: saddle sliping

Maybe it's something physical that is causing this behavior!
I just did some bodywork on a little mustang/QH cross last week
that was going back to the trainer for some sudden behaviour
problems.  I just barely laid my hands over behind his withers
and he went ballistic...  No amount of "training" can overcome
pain and fear without making the horse a basket case.

We put the saddle on and the saddle was plain too tight, even
without the saddle blanket.  The trainer came to pick up the
horse and is going to have an equine chiropractor take a look
at him, too, after the owner told her about my findings.  The
trainer had been concerned about saddle fit before, but having
a 4 year old horse can be a "moving target" when it comes to saddle
fit.

It may not just be the girth.  Mutton withered horses can
be tough to saddle fit, and it is common to have to cinch
them up too tight to make the saddle secure, thus adding
to any problems you may have with saddle fit.  I bet if you
try a better fitting saddle, all the mounting behaviour problems
will eventually go away

K.