Re: Alternative Endurance Horses

>If you want to consider something really different in your area, I
>talked to the gentleman who started the cross breeding program for the
>Nez Perce (?) indian tribe about 5 years ago.  They were crossing the
>Akhal Teke stallion they were given off of their own appys.  They were
>getting some really solid endurance prospects.  I have always wondered
>how they are turning out and if any are competing. I was impressed with
>the Akhal Teke information I read in the Middle East while I was there
>and also enjoyed riding Lari Shea's AK's.

I tried last year to contact the Nez Pierce tribe and did finally get a hold
of the gal who helped them with the breeding of the horses.  She said that
they are almost completely done with that project as there wasn't much
response to the horses.  Shame, sounded like a great cross.  They had only a
few of the remaining horses left, at that time nothing suitable in my
opinion for endurance.  Overall I didn't have much luck getting in contact
with the tribe directly, the e-mails and phone calls were never returns so
not sure what is going on there.  Perhaps others had better luck.

Dawna