RC: Lack of sun causes low protein hay? (from Barb Peck)

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

The hay form our area is testing low protein (8%) this year
on fields that are normally 12%. (mixed grass North East Hay).

The farmers are saying it's because there hasn't been
enough sun.. I tend to think it's because alot was baled
just slightly damp.. not enough to mold, but it loses it's
nice green color, and doesn't have that fragrant smell
that nicely cured hay usually does..after it's been in the mow a
 month. Doesn't the protein content come from the type of
grass, soil conditions and proper curing?

We've had ALOT of rain this year & it was hard to get in a good
 crop.

Any hay experts out there.. ?

Barb