Re: Greyhounds

> in performance and recovery. Our horses bounce right back and are working
> again the day after the race--much to the astonisment of the trackers--and
> drug-free--much to the horror of trainers and veterinarians at the track.
And
> they call our horses "fat".

All definitions aside, I think we all aren't that far apart in our thinking,
Tom.  The effect you see in your "fat" racehorses is exactly the same thing
we're seeing in the "fat" endurance horses---they may weigh a little more,
but are far more able to do the job at hand and bounce back from it.  Too
lean may have less mass to move forward, but doesn't have the substrates to
move it as far or as fast.

The main difference might be in gut fill---dunno what the protocol is for
racehorses, but seem to remember they get no hay on race day.  I've always
advocated maximum gut fill for the endurance horses because of the
disadvantage of the weight of gut fill is overridden by the advantages of a
fluid/'lyte reservoir, motility factors and blood flow.

Susan G