Re: RC: Club Feet

I got my mare as a 5 yr old.  Both front feet are a little clubby, the right
being worse than the left.  Her feet also look like mule feet, and are fairly
narrow.  She also toes in slightly as a result of the contracted tendons that
caused the clubby feet in the first place (I think).  Her angles get up to
about 60 degrees if I'm not careful, I have my farrier keep her at about
54-56.  He doesn't try to correct her pigeontoes.  She is now 14, and totally
sound, but there is a little arthritis just starting to show up on
radiographs.  I have only done LD with her (about 300 miles)  I have her feet
done every 6-8 weeks, depending on the time of year.

I think it depends on how the angles are.  It seems like if there is little
difference between the two feet (my mare) it bothers them less.  A good
farrier can pare down the angle a little at a time then keep it at a
reasonable-for-that-horse angle.  You are not going to have two perfectly
matched feet.  You also have to worry about the horse being crooked,
developing a big shoulder on one side, etc.

As far as club footed horses competing, RT Muffin, one of the greatest horses
in the Northwest region, is clubfooted.  He has career mileage over 9000
miles.

Can't say if you ought to take a chance on this particular horse.  Other than
the club foot how is her conformation, temperament and attitude?  Good luck,
jeri