Re: RC: WARNING! don't trust UPS!

Lif Strand wrote:

> Paul and I have just learned a lesson the hard way.  Artists,
> collectors, antique people  and others who have one-of-a-kind items -
> DO NOT SEND VIA UPS!   We just sent some artwork via UPS - first it
> was lost for over 10 days, then when it arrived it was found to have
> suffered water damage.A full week after first filing a claim (we
> thought we had done right by insuring it) we now find out that UPS has
> a policy of not accepting one-of-a-kind items for shipping.  [Note:
> Go to their web page - there's no mention of this].  Doesn't matter
> whether the place you ship your UPS package from tells you this (we
> used a local UPS authorized shipper [note:  UPS definition is
> Authorized Shipping Outlets (ASOs) and Commercial Counters, privately
> owned retail stores where you may ship packages via UPS] , which is a
> carpet company)  - UPS says because of their policy *they're* not
> liable, the originating shipper is - get this - because we wrote our
> check out to the shipper.  Well, just try telling that to the
> shipper.Even though we insured the artwork, we may not be able to
> recover even the cost of repairing it (if it even can be repaired)
> because of UPS's one-of-a-kind rule.  If such an item is damaged
> beyond a certain amount, they MAY pay you, but then they will take the
> item from you, in effect buying it from you whether you want that or
> not.So - if you are shipping antique saddles, equine artwork, custom
> jewelry or anything that is a one of a kind, remember, DON'T RISK YOUR
> UNIQUE VALUABLES WITH  UPS!  Lif
>

> PS  You might pass this on to friends you have who are artists,
> collectors, etc., particularly if they are using UPS to ship valuable
> one-of-a-kind items sold on eBay or other auction sites.
>
>        ______________________________________________________
>        Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
>             providing you with alternatives for your life
>  Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
>         Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
>                  Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
>                          fax: (561) 594-4609

I am VERY sorry you had such a bad experience.  I would contact a
lawyer. I ship TONS of stuff every year all over the world via UPS and
have never had a package lost, I mean NEVER even had a package damaged
(that I packed - different story from supplier that ship to me...MUCH
poor packing).

BUT, in the 15 years I have been with UPS I have learned NOT to listen
to whomever I first have contact with.  They are just the lackeys who
are told to repeat certain scripts and rarely even know the REAL policy.

I have a VERY good account rep. He gets me CORRECT answers EVERY time.
My driver is so good, he even watches my place while I am away!!!

After the Dubai incident in 1998 (my entire store arrive too late for
the trade who...talk about devastation - I did NOT use UPS, but I am for
France this year), I talked to dozens of lawyers who simply said I did
not have a prayer. I finally found one who took the time to actually
READ my paperwork and guess what, I DO have a case...we filed last
month.  It may take me years, but I will get compensated.

So, I recommend you get a lawyer to investigate the REAL polices of UPS
and just WHO is responsible.  You are right, however, the UPS will not
assume the liability for something as rare as a one of a kind painting.
But repairs SHOULD be compensated. ALWAYS read the fine print and if you
don't understand it, get your attorney to interpret it. TOO much
"legalese" out there for me to have a prayer of understanding it all
myself.  If I am not sure, I consult an attorney. AND, I assure you, the
Mona Lisa is NOT shipped UPS.

--
Teddy Lancaster
American Endurance Ride Conference # 139422

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

-- Winston Churchill

Running Bear Farm, Inc.
Your Trail Riding Equipment Headquarters - Celebrating our 20th
Anniversary!!!!
Teddy Lancaster, President
1348 Township Road 256
Kitts Hill, Ohio, 45645 USA  -  http://runningbear.com/
Webmaster for USA East website: http://usa-east.org/
Moderator for the USA EAST mailing list:
                            http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/USAEAST
1-800-533-2327, FAX: 740-533-0337
Home of Khalarado+/ 1990 IAHA National Endurance Champion
- (1982 Chestnut CMK Stallion)
Supplying the WORLD with quality endurance equipment since 1980