Re: RC: RC: Re: overweight an issue?

According to our uncontrolled one rat study, weight matters, but can be
compensated for, probably up to a point.
I rode our stallion his first 2600 miles (I did the conditioning also). He
was carrying 165-170 lbs. (I carry a LOT of "stuff" <BG>!)
Then Monte started riding him (225 w/tack) and he really struggled that
first season. Gradually (over 2 seasons) his performance improved to about
what I was getting. (Now at 4000 miles, there are no mechanical issues as
yet)
No scientific numbers, just seat of the pants observation.
Granted we ride conservative, not at the speeds needed to top ten big rides.
But there is no reason a horse selected for and trained by a heavyweight
can't have an equal chance to complete a ride such as Tevis. But the
training with weight is necessary.
Nancy Mitts