Re: RC: TEVIS, GUESTS, AND REPLY TO MERRYBEN

Whew,I think I've finally waded through all the posts in this thread!!
After all the discussion about how to better "control" riders & avoid
treating horses, this post brings up an important point---those cut-off
times early in the ride.
The reported high number of treatments were allegedly due to an unexpected
number of back of the pack myositis.
Several posters here indicated they were riding conservatively & pacing
their horses well, but due to the long wait at the unexpected VC had to push
harder than they felt comfortable with to meet the cut-offs.
Those that made it had no trouble making the cut-offs later in the ride.
This is consistant with my experiences at rides with cutoffs. Any little
delay throws riders off their game plan, and the cut-off throws in an
artificial obstacle. The technical difficulty of the Tevis is one of it's
attractions, and sometimes **** happens, tough luck. Hauling 2000 miles just
to play cut-off roulette, however, has limited appeal.
I wonder how many of the treated horses would not have been if the riders
knew they could continue their own pace?
So how about relaxing those cut-off times at those early checks, especially
when they get changed from trot-bys to full checks? The same thing was done
2 years ago when I was out there, so why not build that time allowance in??

Nancy Mitts